Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Week 3 Prompt II


Go to a crowded public place (not one of your classrooms though) and be a fly on the wall. Just watch. What's going on? Set that scene.


My sister is taking part in an English thing, where she reads one of her best papers aloud to a group of other English students and teachers and such. And she has asked me to take pictures of it. First of all, I get to see the mysterious Mr. Goldfine, who I had heard so much about. He is talking to her about her Xanthe paper. We entered the area. I felt a little in the way, seeing as I was not a student in any English class yet, so I pretty well stayed way off to the side where no one would see me, and plastered myself to a large plant. And it turned out that Felicia went pretty close to last, so I sat and I watched as students from other English classes read their English work. And I listened to all of it. I heard their revenge poems, their where I am from papers. I watched and waited, until Felicia read hers, then I took a couple pictures of her reading and cleared out. And from watching all of this, I arrived at I a definite conclusion. I would never be able to teach an English class. To me, most of the writing was hideous, distasteful, and poor. I knew that I would never be able to read things like that and say "This is a good start," or, if something was halfway decent "I like this." I just would not be able to do it, just because apparently from reading so many classic books and such, my level of reading tolerance is not normal enough to accept anything that isn't exceedingly high quality. Which is why if I look at my writing I generally dislike it. So I watched her little English recital, and I watched my own reading standards, and I was convinced that they are far too high to be realistic. But I am quite content with them as they are, and always will be.

1 comment:

  1. I remember the reading, but not the photographer!

    I never thought I could teach because I had crippling stage fright, but here I am 40 years later. I deal with the stage fright by creating a character known to the world as 'John A. Goldfine' to go in to school and do the damn work for me.

    Here's the thing about standards: I'm not measuring student work against my own ideas of quality. Most students I could confidently flunk all semester and every paper, and wouldn't that be a time-saver!

    My job is not to say how well a student paper measures up to my private tastes, but to figure out how it can better do a few simple things that most writing ought to do: offer detail, be clear, be worthy of the writer, avoid confusion, and so on.

    That's a pretty low bar and has nothing much to do with things I read outside of work. So, now you know that if the GIS thing doesn't work out, you can always become an English teacher!

    ReplyDelete