Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Journal Entry 1-18-12


Most experts agree that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, because- it breaks your fast. I agree that it is the most important meal- the most important meal to miss on college days. After skipping breakfast as usual this morning, I headed off to college for the first day this semester. Though I am taking six classes, two of them are online, and one of them is one day a week, so I only had to handle ten of my seventeen credits in a classroom today.

To commence was my first ever class in Penobscot Hall. I had my Trigonometry final there last spring, but never an actual class. I experienced my first one, and can say that it was not significantly different than any other classroom I have had. The style of teaching for the teacher was somewhat unusual, and I suppose unconventional, but I shall surely get used to it as the semester progresses. One problem was that the course has a required course pack, and when we bought it from the bookstore, they gave us the fall version instead of the spring by some form of negligence or nonobservance on their part. We will have to hope that it is not too different.

My sister attempted to direct me to the classroom for our next class, but since she runs everywhere, she had long past me by the time I got to the stairwell she had mentioned, and I went up instead of to the right. I went back down, and walked past the doorway of the classroom. Unfortunately, I had forgotten that this next class started as soon as my last one ended, so I thought I was just seeing where the classroom was so I could find it easily an hour later (Don't ask me why I thought I had a class at noon). But as I walked by, I noticed how full the classroom was. Then I thought "Wait, aren't I supposed to be in there?" I recognized someone from my english class last semester that I had known would be in this class, and I head in, and locate my sister. I was very lucky to get in there at all, as unless my sister had tried to direct me there, I would have probably gone somewhere else to begin with, and I was lucky to realize that I should actually go into the classroom instead of just survey it.

The textbook for this class is supposed to be 11th edition, but my uncle found that online he can get an 11th edition for about $55, while he can get the 10th edition for $4. The teacher said the tenth edition would work, so we ordered one of the abundance of 4 dollar tenth editions. Unfortunately, someone had scammed us with this particular one, and sent us the second edition instead. The teacher thought it was very interesting, as she had thought such old editions of the text would be nonexistant anymore, so she wanted to buy it from us. I just gave it to her, but as she could not accept gifts from a student, she will pay us later, I think.

After eating my lunch of two granola bars- I really do learn best on an empty stomach- I emailed my uncle to ask him to get us another tenth edition, and I headed to the Calculus II class. That went well, except that I would have thought that more people who took Calculus I last semester would have taken Calculus II this semester with us, only two other people progressed to the next one with us.

I do eat breakfast on other days, just not days when I head to the college. I haven't for the 3 semesters I have had already. I don't drink at all for the day either. Some people may say that hardly eating and not drinking at all for probably about 21 hours straight counting the night would be a little strange. I call it perfectly normal for me. Though another student once termed it as a "Starvation Diet." But I haven't starved yet, so I won't concern myself with that. Yet.

1 comment:

  1. Another way of interpreting the information you provide is that you are so dehydrated and esurient, so out of it with hunger and thirst that: you are wandering vaguely around campus, you can't follow simple sisterly directions, your GIS skills which would lead you inevitably to P'scot Hall have deserted you, your mental workings are so slowed that you can't grasp the esoteric concept known to initiates as "going into the classroom."

    ReplyDelete