Monday, January 23, 2012

Week 2 Prompt II


The stuff I've collected over the years in my little box/bureau/drawer/keepsake chest marks every step of my way.

I have a box that contains most of my baseball things. There is the first baseball glove I used when I was 8 and 9; then there is the second one I used. This one lasted until I was twelve, when it started falling apart near the end of the year. The string snapped, and I had to try to tie it all together. In an important game in the District tournament when I was on the Waldo County all star team, I made my first two fly ball catches in the outfield ever in the game, including a diving one that saved us a couple of runs. And there is the glove that has lasted me since I was thirteen, and has made some pretty good catches for me as well. There is the bat I got when I was 9. It was very heavy for a little league bat, twenty ounces, and 28 inches. Most little league bats were going sixteen, fourteen ounces. Eventually, the coach had me try another bat when I was ten, and I found that with that lighter bat, I could actually hit better, so that bat got discarded. Then there is the bat I got the next year when I was eleven. It worked for most of the year, until the coaches determined that the reason it hurt everyone's hands to use it was because it was broken. I got another bat when I was twelve, and this one helped me with a lot of hits, and I liked the bat a lot. Then, in Junior League, when I was thirteen, one of the players on my team gave me their old, lighter (at thirty inches, 23 ounces) bat, because I had difficulty using the heavier ones. It helped me a good bit, and I used it for the next three years. When I was sixteen, I was hitting definitely the best I had since I was twelve in my last year of little league. And I was doing it using this bat. Then the coach had me switch to another bat, and it resulted in my playing so poorly as to not start the next week during the state tournament. Once we won the states and were in the regionals, I realized that I needed my old bat back, and I had the best batting practice session of my life, where every single pitch was a really hard line drive right back at the coach's face. Unfortunately, even though I impressed this coach greatly, as I had easily had the best batting practice of any of the players, by far, it was still too late, as once the season concluded, it was the last year I will be able to use this bat, as the new requirements entails that all bats must be BBCOR bats. So next year I shall have to use another bat. But fortunately my glove does not have to be BBCOR, so I shall continue to use it as long as it holds together.

3 comments:

  1. The story of the bats! I think in a piece like this, you've got to specialize; I don't think you can give billing to both bat and glove--just forget the prompt and the need to be a completist and faithful to it.

    I've complimented you recently on your ability to handle narrative well and it isn't easy! But here, one darn bat after another, I don't think you master the material. In the end, too much Louisville Slugger, not enough TG to hold the reader. Each bat resonates for you, but it doesn't quite hold the reader IMO.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can. Post it separately so I don't miss it.

    ReplyDelete