Saturday, January 21, 2012

Journal Entry, 1-21-12


I shall certainly have difficulty with this, the last day of my week, as this was as unremarkable a day for me as imaginable. So I shall most likely have to cast about for some filler. Anyhow, some paint chips got jammed up my finger nails, never a pleasant occurrence. I petted Della, and I listened to Linkin Park, and I read more Oppenheim. Oppenheim wrote through the Great War, and wrote several books on espionage and other fascinating and enjoyable things during the war, while it was occurring. Then, after WWI was over, he went and predicted that WWII would occur, because of the reason that the Treaty of Versaille was too cruel on Germany, and that they would retaliate. He was very intimately acquainted and knowledgable on all of the subjects pertaining to governments and policy and national feelings and such, and he predicted the thing with WWII in 1922, three years after the treaty, and he predicted that it would happen in 1935, only a couple of years too early. He also said how Japan was biding their time in WWI, waiting to attack the U.S., and that Germany would attack the U.S. east coast, while at the exact same time Japan would attack the west. As it happened, Japan attacked Hawaii, and simultaneously, Germany attacked Russia. Oppenheim foresaw a lot, and I have learned a lot from his writings, namely that I would very much like being a spy. And I think that this is long enough without adding too much more filler. So I wrote the first week 2 prompt today, and did other homework, and this journal assignment is I believe arrived at its completion. So, finis.

2 comments:

  1. Never feel like you have to simply fill to meet some imagined 'right-size look' for a paragraph--c'mon, Tom, you must know me better than that by now!

    And in any case, I'm interested in what you relate about Oppenheim and am separately interested in your interest in him. Have you read any other interwar or early 20th C. genre fiction: 39 Steps, Four Just Men, Riddle Of The Sands, Rogue Male (best of all)?

    How about the weirdest writer who ever lived: Harry Stephen Keeler?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I don't consider two sentences a paragraph, and that was what it seemed I would end up with. I didn't want to just have: "some paint chips got jammed up my finger nails, never a pleasant occurrence. I petted Della, and I listened to Linkin Park, and I read more Oppenheim."

    I have not read any of those books that you named, but I was already going to check out Household next time at the library, since you like "Lad", you obviously have good taste in books.:>

    And I have not heard of Harry Stephen Keeler either, this will give me a good place to start looking to mix with my Oppenheim ones. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete