Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Week 9 Prompt II

I came, I saw, I caught it (Most of the time)


I ran in on the ball, and dove for it. The coach was excited, as not many ten year olds try to dive, let alone actually make the play, even though it was a practice.
***
I was in centerfield, and a line drive was hit to shallow left field. The left fielder was unable to get to it, and it filtered through the gap. The same left handed batter came up to bat, and I felt certain he would hit it to the same spot. I moved in, though not too much, and when the ball was hit I ran in and dove for it, making the catch and somersaulting to my feet for the third out.
***
I ran in, prepared to dive on the ball the coach hit, but it was dropping too quickly, so I dove and managed to stop it on the bounce.
“I think you dive too much,” the coach said.
***
I ran in on it. I knew that if I caught it, the game would be over. I dove, closing my eyes for some reason, and it ricocheted in and out of my glove. The pitchers had been invalid though, so we got another chance at it, and I just took it on the bounce and threw him out at the plate, though the umpire called the runner safe.
***
I was playing first, and ran in and dove for the pop up. I caught it, and rolled over. The umpire ruled that I didn’t catch it. We ended up winning the game 34-1 anyhow.
***
The ball was hit in the gap, and I ran and dove, the ball glancing off the tip of my glove. That ended up being the winning run.
***
The pitch I threw was popped up, and I ran towards it, and dove. I caught it forehand, and landed on my glove elbow, jarring the ball out and up into the air. I rolled over, looked up, and caught the ball barehanded.
***
I ran from third base into foul ground, and laid out and caught it in front of the third base coach for the opposition.
“That was one heck of a catch,” he said, and high fived me.
***
It was a perfect easy line drive for a diving catch, and I ran in from center. I dove, but did not extend my glove quite far enough, and it glanced off my glove. It was the first time I had missed a diving catch in three years.
***
The ball was hit out to me in right, and I came in a good deal, having figured out that the lights made the ball go shorter than it appeared it would. It plunged, and I dove to make sure I caught it. It was good I had, for it was the state tournament game.
***
It was thrown a good bit over my head, and I dove and made the catch, sliding along the hardwood.
“This is a gym you know,” another player informed me.
“I know.”
“You could get killed diving on it.”
“It hasn’t happened yet.”

1 comment:

  1. The writer takes off at the crack of the prompt! It's a little Texas Leaguer, folks, just out of reach of the second baseman--here Tom comes, he'll have to take it on the hop, the runner's tagging up.... No, wait WAIT! The centerfielder is diving, sliding across the grass, and...oh my sweet heaven, what a play, what an amazing play! He dove and...uh oh, he just threw in behind the runner and they've got him in a rundown. Out! Tom gets an out and an assist--what a piece of work! That man is known around the clubhouse as the Vignette Monster! Fun linkages! Short and sweets! Reader follows the action! Saves the best for last!

    Collect his baseball card, kids! He' s no flash in the pan!

    ReplyDelete