Friday, March 23, 2012

Week 8 Prompt III


  1. A city street--

I crossed the street to the gym. A few of the players were already waiting to carpool to the field. We sit on the concrete blocks waiting for the rides to come. The president of the college pulls in smoothly and goes into the gym to look at the progess being done in preparing it for the chef competition. I wish our college didn't engage in publicity and money stunts.

***

The truck pulled up, and a bunch of players jumped in. They pulled out, and I was left with another player waiting for the next ride.

***

A car pulled up with another student to carpool.

"Hello," he said in a silly voice, "What's your name?"

"There's no one else waiting for a ride?" he asked.

"Six of them already left?"

"I thought the coach said 4:30, it's just past four."

"Well, he filled up his truck and left. We're waiting for the other person."

"Who already left?"

After the other person went through trying to describe all the players we didn't remember the names of, I went through and listed them all out by name.

***

The ride pulled up almost to our feet. The player got out.

"Hello, what's your name?" was asked to the driver.

"Joe Smooth," he replied. "Since you're short, you probably should go in the back."

"Who are you calling short?"

"Just watch the stuff in the back."

We stuffed ourselves in on top of his sweatshirts, shoes, bags, papers, etc. We took off, with the radio blasting directly behind my head. I thought in my head "At least the seatbelts all work."

***

He was a relatively safe driver anyhow.

"I was coming here going 70 in the 55 zone, and there was this white truck trying to pass me, and I was like who is this idiot in the white truck trying to pass me. We had been alongside each other a while, so I looked over and it was the coach."

He drove pretty carefully, though was exceedingly jerky pulling in to merge. He didn't change the radio until we were going straight though. The radio worked better the faster we went. The players all turned their hats backwards so as not to be blown off from the wind pouring in through the wide open windows.

"Does this seatbelt works?" one of the players asked.

"No," the driver player replied.

At that point I noticed he wasn't wearing one either.

***

It wasn't all that far, and we made it there without rolling over.

"We'll carpool tomorrow too, and probably for the forseeable future," the coach said.

2 comments:

  1. "I wish our college didn't engage in publicity and money stunts."

    It does seem to detract from the mission's seriousness. But it seems to be expected and it is argued such stunts are necessary for continued survival. There are some people who might argue similarly that collegiate athletics, even on our small scale, are a waste of resources.

    :)

    Vignette 3 confuses me so badly that I never recover in this piece. How many people are waiting? Who is asking all those questions? One person? If so, why multiple grafs and separate quotation marks? If many people, who are they? We need some indication of shifts in speaker unless only two speakers or context makes the shift clear--which it doesn't here for me.

    So, interesting: the speech class piece worked nicely; this, I'd say, is an honorable failure. Batting .500 ok or do you want another plate appearance?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it just needs a bit of clarification, looking it back over, with no names it was confusing. I have no idea what I was doing, and it looks like their are some question marks where they should not have been and such. Not too difficult to fix, I don't think. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete