Sunday, March 4, 2012

Week 5 Prompt III Retry


When I was younger, I had a habit of running and hiding whenever something unpleasant to me appeared upon the television. For example, a character I disliked in a television program. One appeared when I was about six, and I ran to hide behind a chair. On the way, I stepped on a thorn that was embedded in the rug, but became embedded in my heel.

After the offending character had vacated the screen, I went to the kitchen, where my mother was on the phone with my aunt.

"I need some help," I told her.

"What is it?" she asked.

"I have something stuck in my foot."

"Then take your sock off."

"I can't."

"I'm just helping Tom," she explained into the phone. "Let me see it," she said.

I held my foot up.

"Let's take your sock off," she said.

"You can't," I said.

"Why not?"

"The thorn is through my sock."

She looked at it.

"Oh!"

She worked in removing the thorn from my heel, while continuing to talk to my aunt on the phone.

And I don't think she ever asked me how the thorn got there in the first place.

1 comment:

  1. Tom--you are going to have a grand time with vignettes; you are already writing, as here, good ones with a sort of deadpan tone that works very nicely.

    ReplyDelete