Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Week 7 Prompt I


Who's the first person you remember?



Consider this part II to the person graf from last semester. Last semester I wrote about a person who sat behind me in my math class. At the second class, I turned around, and noticing that he had a friendly appearance, asked him if this was the correct math class, as the one thing I was terrified of was being in the wrong class.

"I don't know," he responded, "Except that you were sitting over there in that corner last time."

And it seemed that with my act of friendliness in talking to him, it opened the floodgates of his loquacity. Just about every class he would talk to me before the teacher came in, about various things. About how he had injured his right knee playing soccer, and was learning to be more ambidextrous with his feet. How he had seen someone he had known waiting to come into the dorms, but could not let them into the building until the person they were waiting for came to get them. And other topics throughout the semester.

It was actually quite nice to come into the class and have someone who would be friendly and talk to me each time. After the class ended, I occasionally would see him around the campus, and he would say "Hey, long time since I've seen you," and ask what math class I was taking now. And throughout all of this, I never knew his name.

I walked into the gym, and went up to the desk.

"I'm looking for the baseball team?" I queried.

The lady at the desk led me to the coach on the other side of the gym. I was surprised that I recognized someone from my calculus class there. Then, I was even more surprised, when we were stretching, when I looked over, and next to me was "the person from my algebra class".

"Hey, long time since I've seen you," he said, "What math class are you taking now?"

Since then, he has played pass with me the majority of the practices. And I found out his name.

4 comments:

  1. I remember Mysterious Talky Guy Part I!

    But you can't start a piece by calling out to a teacher to remember--each piece has to be stand-alone. Drop the first two sentence, start in media res and you will be all set!

    Glad you're going to get a chance to play ball again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "sentences" I meant, first two sentences....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice last sentence--I forgot to mention that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, the way I wrote this definitely did not work, with the first two sentences at the beginning, I definitely should have left those out.

    ReplyDelete