Sunday, March 4, 2012

Week 5 Theme


I hurried to the chicken coop. The door creaked open, and I looked in. Willow was laying on her side. She was only a year or so old, yet had such a personality that I had developed great attachment to her.

And now she was laying on the floor, dying.

I sat next to her, and desperately attempted to get her to eat. She refused any sort of food, so I tried water. She could not get her beak into the water bowl, so I put a little on a cupped leaf, and set the leaf next to her beak. She did not drink.

I had a cold, and all this smell of dust and such was not good for my throat, but I stayed with her. Normally, my sister takes care of the chickens but I really loved Willow, how she was more friendly then almost any of the chickens, how she would push her way to the front and do anything for food.

Now, she stood up, but it was only to shift over a little ways. She was beginning to convulse, as I stroked her wing, telling her "Please Willow, don't die, please!" I was quite distraught by this point, and was reluctant to accept that she was dead for several minutes. And I was left with the great memories of her, and sadness at the great life and memories she might have left.

2 comments:

  1. Tom, I'd argue very strongly that the last two sentences here, which are sentences of exposition and commentary, ought to be dropped. Leave the reader with an image and an emotion.

    But what you really want to know is whether I think this is a narrative.... Tom, narratives aren't working for you--surprising in someone who loves them the way I know you do.

    Let's accentuate the positive As I said a moment ago, you knock out a heck of a vignette--that's what you've got here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that I will stop while I'm ahead and wait for Vignette Week. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete