Friday, March 23, 2012

Week 8 Prompt II


  1. Eeenie, meenie, minie, moe, catch a rabbit by the toe....


"Page 29 is the vocabulary page," my sister said.

"Yes, that's it," the teacher replied.

"I didn't know I was supposed to read the chapter!" Felicia exclaimed.

"Oh, that's okay, don't worry about it," the teacher said, walking off.

"I didn't either," I told Felicia, "The teacher never told us to, don't worry, it doesn't matter anyhow."

"We're all in the same boat, 'cause I haven't either," the person sitting next to Felicia said.

***

"I think it is D," I said.

"Yes, that looks like it," the other person said, "Hogging the conversation."

"So we have to act it out."

The teacher came back over.

"Yes, it is D," she commented, "So it would be like 'How was your weekend?'"

"Good."

"Mine was great, I went to a movie, enjoyed the great weather, it would be something like that."

She went off again.

"So it's sort of like not waiting for the answer," the other person commented.

"Yes, waiting for the monosyllabic answer," I replied. "I suppose we have to pick one to act out, so it would be something like 'Do you like your purse?'"

"Yes."

"I wouldn't like purses, they are so bulky, and I would just ramble on like that."

"You are good at rambling."

"It helps when I talk as fast as I can while doing it."

***

"Okay, what about you three? Who are you in your roleplay?"

"Oh, college students," I said. "So we just start?"

"Yes, go ahead."

"Do you have a purse?" I asked Felicia.

"Yes, in my bag."

"Oh, I wouldn't like purses, I just think they're too bulky and stuff for me. And they're just so big and you drop everything inside. Do you have a purse?" Turning to the other person.

"Yes."

"I just wouldn't like purses, they're so large to carry around, and you're just sticking stuff in them and their are all these pockets and corners, and everything always vanishes and it seems like things always migrate like they're deliberately trying to escape. Do you ever lose anything?"

"No."

"I can't imagine how you don't lose things, I would be losing things all the time, with all the space, and you're just dumping everything in, and it all just gets jumbled up, and everything always disappears, it is like a drier with socks in purse form, like a black hole or something."

I did all of this talking as quickly as possible.

"What just happened?" someone else asked.

"That's scary, Tom," the teacher said, laughing. "So what listening habit was he doing wrong?"

"Hogging the conversation?" a student asked.

"Yes, except with this it was like 1 percent, 1 percent, and 98 percent. That was scary."

2 comments:

  1. I would not peg you for a conversation hog in real life, so that must have been a stretch for you, though your reconstruction of your hogitude is very convincingly porcine.

    You handle the linked vignettes nicely, not worrying about completeness but giving us a finely articulate skeleton, and that, of course, is the point of the exercise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "articulated" with a 'd' I meant in my last sentence....

    ReplyDelete