Thursday, March 22, 2012

Week 9 Prompt I

A list of random things about me:
1  I can't drive a car and never want to.
2  I have chronic headaches.
3  I enjoy reading obscure early twentieth century authors.
4  I am allergic to pollen, mold, and cigarette smoke.
5  I don't use pencils during college courses.
6  I have broken two windows and a vending machine in my life.
7  I was a ball anti-magnet throughout little league.
8  I wear a baseball hat if I am outside the house.
9  I find that chewing gum is the best remedy for my allergies.
10 I find that wearing a baseball hat is the best remedy for my headaches.
11 Once I had a headache so bad during a test that I lost my short term memory.
12 I have flexible knees, in the (I think) crane stretch, my foot can come up past my knee a good ways.
13 I don't have all that much work for seventeen credits, but it is still too much.
14 I enjoy english if I get to focus on it enough.
15 I will not be one of the 42 percent of people who graduate from college and never read another book in their life.
16 Is my favorite number, also an interesting mathematical number.
17 I don't think vending machines should be stored in a gym next to the basketball hoop.
18 I love playing baseball.
19 In my opinion, swearing only displays that you don't have a better word in your lexicon.
20 I slept at the foot of the bed for most of my life.
21 I prefer concluding lists on uneven numbers.

3 comments:

  1. 1--oh, never say never!

    6,17--I seem to remember something about those vending machines!

    15--I never doubted that.

    19--cannot agree with you about this at all. All the difference in the world muttering "Shit!" in a moment of vexation than in saying, "Excrement, feces, defecation, solid waste, doo-doo, number two, etc." Most of the words you're thinking of are very old words in the language, have fascinating histories, and despite overwork remain powerful.

    Languages and cultures need transgressive words and are always inventing new ones or deciding that old acceptable words are no longer acceptable, and viceversa.

    If you give up on swearing, you diminish and dull your verbal palette for no very good reason.

    21--:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's not a question of giving up for me, I have never taken it up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I worked a whole summer at summer camp without swearing once! I also forbore when I taught grade school. But I thought the words!

    ReplyDelete