Sunday, April 8, 2012

Difficulty

I have been having difficulty writing recently, as I have run to the point where I have used up most of the things that are interesting in my memory. Something mundane can be interesting if written well enough, so I wrote about what was immediately happening to me for a while. Then the break came, and I have been stuck all week on material, as I wasn't doing anything that inspired me at all. I am hoping for more material tomorrow. I will keep thinking as well.

By the way, with week 10 distancing, would something like Faulkner's "The Sound and the Fury" qualify as distancing the reader? It distanced me until I stopped reading it several pages in.

1 comment:

  1. S & F is definitely distancing, but, thank god, here in 162sville we try to avoid the Civil War, slaves, rape, incest, racism, suicide, and all the rest, so that's out for TG.

    Writers come up dry all the time, and I haven't much general advice. If I could, I'd say take a couple of weeks off, but I can't and you can't.

    Since you're into Faulkner today, I leave you with one of his lines from his Nobel acceptance speech: "I believe that man, including Tom Graham in particular, will not merely endure: he will prevail.

    ReplyDelete