Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Week 10 Prompt I

47. Nature red in tooth and claw. The Law of the Jungle. Survival of the Fastest

The light was on. It flashed a few times then removed itself. It then moved from its current locale, sliding over along the dark surface.
We were sitting together. We were heading home.
She came running out. They informed her of what had happened. Sometimes it is the anxious waiting that is the worst.
There was the crash, and then the light sat still.
Survival of the fastest.

3 comments:

  1. This reminds me of a word problem in physics--the situation ought to be laid out in a formula with a clear solution predicted.

    Even though I confess I don't really get this, I do like your courage in putting out a piece stripped to the point of anorexia. I take it as a professional compliment that you thought (correctly) that experimentation is a 162 possibility.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I took it that week 10 was sort of a confuse the reader thing, so I was trying to see how far I could go with it. I suppose I killed the reader instead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No no, not at all--the line between alienating and losing the reader is not a bright one--you don't know how much is enough until you know how much is too much, as they say. It was mystifying but not exactly confusing--call it a prose poem and no one expects a poem to yield its meaning too easily, eh?

    ReplyDelete