Thursday, April 19, 2012

Week 10 Prompt II

49. Doesn't matter where you begin, you'll end up back here.

My mother hurried up behind me. I noticed her, and went to get my sister. We went to our grandmother's car. We got inside. My grandmother started to drive off.

"I'm not in yet!" my sister exclaimed, one foot in, and one out.

***


"She's not there yet?" I asked my sister.

"No," she replied, "I don't see her anyways."

She ran towards the college building. I started walking, then noticed my mother hurrying up behind me. I waved to her, and caught up to my sister.

"She's here," I informed her.

"Oh, good."

We returned to the car. We had not noticed it because it was our grandmother's car instead of ours. I entered the car.

"Hi," our grandmother said.

My sister struggled trying to get her backpack into the backseat, with one foot in and one out.

"There wasn't room in the parking lot," my mother said, "Our car's parked over in Great Skates."

Slowly, our grandmother started driving.

"I'm not in yet!" Felicia exclaimed.

***

He turned and saw someone approaching him. It was his mother. He collected his sister, and they made their way to the car. It was their grandmother's car instead of their own. He knew that they had been out driving, and he assumed they had returned to the college together, but he had no idea where their car was.

He opened the door, and entered the car.

"Hi," his grandmother said.

"There wasn't room in the parking lot," his mother informed him, "Our car's parked over in Great Skates."

Apparently, his grandmother was unused to passengers in the back, as she started driving off with his sister still half out of the car.

"I'm not in yet!" she exclaimed.

***

She pulled around the curve and towards the college. They stopped out of the way. After a while, her daughter noticed her own daughter and son walking away, and hurried out to get them. The grandmother watched as they came up to her car. She started moving the car.

"I'm not in yet!" her granddaughter exclaimed.

***

My grandmother stopped the car, and Felicia pulled herself in.

"She's slow getting into the car all the time," my mother told my grandmother.

"Oh, that's fine," she said.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you haven't given up on "exclaimed." Everyone needs a hideout, a place to get away from teacher, and that's yours and you use it to droll effect here.

    I also like the several variations on a theme--that's a sophisticated and confident approach. I further like the writer's ability here to turn any found, quotidian material into good writing.

    ReplyDelete