Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Week 5 Prompt III redo


You’ve lost It! Where is It?


We were doing our warm up at our baseball field before going to our away game. I was ten, and for the first time ever, I forgot my glove. I left it at the field, and did not notice until I got to the game that I was lacking the possession of a glove.

"Coach," I told one of them, "I think I left my glove in Winterport."

"Oh!" he exclaimed. "Well let's see. I don't think we really have any extras. Are you sure you left it?"

"Yes, my mother is going back to get it."

"Missing a glove?" another coach asked.

"Yes, he left his at the field," the head coach replied.

"I've got mine," the assistant said, holding up his glove. "I don't know how much use it will be to you."

It was his own little league glove, that was probably about fifty years old. I put it on, and it was not just broken in, it was broken. It was so pliable that it was almost like silk. I went out and tried it though, and only missed a few ground balls. And we still won.

(I am totally at a loss as to what to use for the narrative topics. I don't know how well this one works, all the other ones just seemed half hearted once I finished them.)

1 comment:

  1. Wait til we get to week 8 and vignettes--this is a vignette, a sketch of a situation, a moment presented for the reader. It's a good one, almost like silk. But narrative? No. Narrative has to bite.

    Trust me, narrative is hard. Telling a story, finding a story--hard. If it were easy, we'd all be famous fiction writers rubbing elbows with Stephen King and his kind.

    I don't want you to bang your head against a wall (though I'm always glad to read whatever you care to show me.) But not banging your head is also a legitimate way to cope with the assignment because not-writing gives your unconscious a chance to process the lesson and to work in the background.

    ReplyDelete