Saturday, February 18, 2012

Week 5 Prompt II MacGuffin Accentuated


I found out that I actually did not need the SAT's to go to EMCC, and that they would have no purpose to me at this point, but I took them anyways. After some difficulty in getting it in Bangor as opposed to New Hampshire, I went to take them.

I attempted to do the test in the uncomfortable one piece table and chair, and was surprised at how quickly I could get through it. I would have fifteen minutes left at least after completing each section and going back over it. I occupied myself during this time in collecting myself for the next section, and in observing the rest of the room. Something that I was interested in was that I kept hearing a humming noise. It was exceedingly loud, and I was surprised that no one else had noticed it. I had looked, but been unable to recognize the cause of the disturbance, and I assumed it must be the grate that was above the clock.

I finished the last section, and I determined to see if it was the grate. I watched it, as the noise was quite raucous at the time, and I could not see any reason the grate would be this noisy. Then I looked down, and realized that it was the clock. The second hand had gotten stuck on the minute hand, and was straining to continue past the slower moving restrictor. I looked around the room, and was shocked that everyone, including the moderator, was seemingly ignorant as to the drama unfolding above their heads. I was getting seriously concerned that the clock would break, when the second hand sprung free, and shot around the clock leaping at five second intervals, as if making up for lost time. It went around the clock in probably about ten seconds, and reached the minute hand again, latching on. The straining motor sound was probably as loud as a bus driving by our house, yet no one noticed it. The second hand broke away, and streaked back around, this time not hooking onto the minute hand, and eventually slowed down to its customary second or two per second.

At the end of the section, the moderator stood up, and waited for the second hand on the analog clock to reach exactly the minute mark, then said "Pencils down."

One of my teachers at EMCC told me that if someone had complained all of our scores could have been thrown out. I ended up with good scores, and because of them the college allowed me to take Mr. Goldfine's English class. So if I had not taken the SAT's, then I would not be writing this blog. And I have never seen another clock like that again, fortunately.

3 comments:

  1. I've gone back and reread the original--I like the focus here, but you've lost the 'ridiculously over-regulated' part in this version and you need it: what makes the clock thing so ludicrous is that the proctor is worrying about the position of your pencil in space but failing to note the slipperiness of time.

    The Macguffin was traditionally a ticking bomb--well, you have the bomb (clock) but the 'ticking' in this case would be the contrast between the proctor's fussiness and the reality that only you seemed aware of.

    Does that make sense to you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes it does, I was trying to center the clock more, and I did notice that I was losing the over regulated part. I will try to get that back in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Worth mentioning: schoolhouse clocks were often called regulators back in the day. We have my wife's grandmother's clock from her school teaching days--it's a Regulator B.

    ReplyDelete