Thursday, February 9, 2012

Week 4 Prompt I


Somebody just offered me the chance to get paid for gassing on about one of my favorite topics: dogs. What would you like to be paid to talk about?

That is a difficult choice. There are so many things I would enjoy discoursing on.

One would definitely be authors I read. I read many early nineteen hundreds authors, and enjoy it greatly. Upon this subject my verbosity is unlimited. Jeffery Farnol writes wonderfully nice books on life, and conversations that would seem trivial to other people, yet he fills many pages of the book with fascinating conversations. One of his favorite ways to start a book is to have the character living in luxury, leave, setting off with very little money, walking down the dirt road. And, Farnol created his favorite character, and mine, Jasper Shrig, a Bow Street runner, with a severe London accent so that he interchanges his "W"s and "V"s, and calls himself Jarsper. And he is able to tell if a person is going to get murdered or murder someone by seeing their face once. And has a booklet where he writes down the names of all these people and other information on them.

And there are other authors I love, like E. Phillips Oppenheim, who often writes about the World Wars, while the first one is happening, and only three years after the Armistice predicting the second one to start only four years before it did. And Albert Payson Terhune, who wrote about his collies, and other books, all of which I found fascinating.

But there are so many other subjects I would love to be paid to exercise my loquaciousness on. Like music, and the bands I like; like Linkin Park, with a rapper and a lead singer who screams a lot during their songs; and Edward Maya, a Romanian singer who makes dance or club songs with flutes and accordions. And Owl City, who does synthpop music, who is finally making his albums from somewhere other than his parent's basement.

Or, I probably would like to talk about GIS, which I am taking, that is fascinating to me. Gauging the damage caused by natural disasters, constructing weather prediction models, making maps, and all sorts of other endless things I would talk about, paid or not. Actually, I will be paying to talk about them this semester in my speaking class. But altogether, I think that after writing this, I would really love to be paid to talk about what I would love to be paid to talk about.

4 comments:

  1. Funny, but I stopped reading this for a moment and went to check on Farnol on Amazon and realized immediately that I'd read two of his books in the last few years! (Black Bartlemy and Martin Conisby)--most of his stuff is available free on Kindle!

    I don't get paid to talk about dogs, but I do get paid to talk about writing, which I love. Truth is, though, and perhaps you noticed this when you had me live, is that I have to pump myself up a bit to lecture but love to talk to students face-to-face.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just a second non-comment comment to boot blogger into saying '2 comments' instead of '0 comments'

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is really neat that you have read Farnol too! I have read both Black Bartlemey and Martin Conisby.

    So it said that there were no comments after you posted a comment? That is weird, why does it do that?

    ReplyDelete