Thursday, February 9, 2012

Week 4 Prompt II


You have a friend, lover, s.o., parent, whomever--and you have a magic potion. Once they take it they will tell you the absolute truth for one minute. Who do you give it to and what do they say?

I have a dear friend, who I would love to understand, yet who, when speaking to me, still is not quite able to draw me into their world, to let me see what they see, through their eyes. And since this magic potion would make them be able to "Tell me the absolute truth" for one minute, I would give it to this friend of mine, my dog, Della. And she would explain to me exactly what it is like to see the world from her eyes, only a few feet off of the ground, her unique perspective on life. She would inform me how it feels to her to only see so much of the world, whether she would appreciate some form of education, which is required for human children who I do not see as being much more intelligent that Della is. She would explain her absolute devotion to people, and whether she would prefer to be free, running through the trees. Whether she misses such things that she has missed, and whether she resents her captivity, and basic slavery.

And then I look over at Della, who is smiling at me, wagging her tail ecstatically at the mere sight of me. And I realize that I do not need the potion after all.

2 comments:

  1. Very enjoyable graf for a dog fancier such as myself with a particularly fine close.

    All those early 20th Century writers are turning you into a comma hawk--you deploy them completely correctly, but the total effect is a bit startling to the eyes of 2012. You'll notice that modern practice is to streamline punctuation. Classic Victorian writers were besotted with punctuation, and their books look a bit unusual today, but believe me, that is not a criticism at all, just a comment.

    I would drop "to her" in "feels to her" as unneeded.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought you might be interested in this line I just composed for a student recommendation. As you can see, I'm not afraid of baroque Victorian punctuation, though I'm not sure I'd ordinarily recommend butting an exclamation point, a dash, and a comma against each other:

    "And there are plenty of ambitious students out there too, students who ask questions and demand answers--good answers!--, and always are looking for ways to improve."

    ReplyDelete