Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Theme Week 3


"It is a success speech. You will give a one minute speech on a great success you have had, and you will bring up a symbol of it. You cannot have any notes."

My communications teacher always has interesting conversations. Generally on the speeches, though she often does digress slightly.

"It is due next class."

I got the speech, went up, and the combined fluorescent lights, headache, and terror of public speaking made me have one of those times when I have no clue what I am doing, saying, or seeing. I had no clue what I was doing or saying, but came back to myself in time to realize that I had not shown my symbol. I did that, and concluded it somehow or other, and headed back to my seat.

"I didn't lose consciousness," I commented to the person next to me.

"What?"

"I stayed conscious the whole time. That was more than I expected."

The teacher gave me my grade. I had gotten 76/80, and had spoken for 1:43, and did not remember a single second of it.

"Good speech," the teacher said, "Good hook. Congratulations. Lightning!"

"Lightning? Did I talk about lightning?"

I recollected my topic however, and hoped that I actually be there for the next speech. Because I certainly was not this time.

1 comment:

  1. I can't help contrasting this to the football-farce piece. This is so nicely-judged, so sure in its effects, so confident in the material, so droll, so impervious to possible teacher's negativity.

    It is interesting! And humorous!

    ReplyDelete