Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Week 13 Prompt I

68. I think, therefore I am.
If you think about it, thinking is an interesting concept. If you think about thinking, then you find out that it's hard to think when you're thinking about it. And when you're not thinking about thinking, you are generally dreaming.

And dreaming is an interesting concept. No one knows why we dream, though it takes our thought patterns and fires randomly. Why is unknown. There are many theories though.

One of which is that we dream to prepare for future events. Basically, that if we experience a tramautic event, then we will be better prepared for it next time. There are also theories that purport that dreaming does nothing. Also that dreaming determines which connections in the brain are necessary and which can be removed.

I dream , and my dreams have changed drastically over the years.

I had dreams when I was four or so of things such as the purple creature from the McDonald's commercials lurking out in our woods, then going in to eat our chickens.

Or that I went into our backyard, and encountered a tiger. Which promptly ate me, starting with my right palm.

Or when I saw a commercial with a lobster clawing someone's ear, and then I dreamed of a lobster sitting on a table in our living room, then levitating and flying towards me.

Now, none of these such dreams occur, namely, I believe, because I don't need them. I'm not likely to have to run away from a tiger. If I did, then it would be helpful to have dreamed of it first, because next time I would run away, instead of standing there, and letting it eat me.

But now I dream of important things, such as baseball and classes, which seems to me to be preparing me for if things that might actually happen to me do happen, unlike tiger attacks.

1 comment:

  1. Reading this, I just remembered I dreamed last night that some student I had never seen before but that I was somehow carrying on my books handed me an isearch handwritten on spiral notebook paper.... Nightmare. I hope that is not a dream to prepare me for future events!

    You move your material nicely from big speculation to small and personal speculation.

    ReplyDelete