Saturday, September 29, 2012

Week 4 Voice childhood memoir

I have always had difficulty with heat. Whenever it is hot, I always prefer to stay inside. When I get sick, I often get high fevers. About eight or nine times I have had fevers of 105. When I went to New Jersey to play baseball for a tournament I had difficulty withstanding the heat and humidity.

On the other hand, I have no problem with cold. Whenever I wash my hands, I always use cold water. I have not worn anything long sleeved except for baseball in two years. Last winter, I never wore a coat or a long sleeved shirt at all, which concerned my mother.

So it is no surprise that I like colder classrooms over warmer ones. Unfortunately, EMCC does not really let the students pick.

Over three semesters, I took three math classes with one teacher. Algebra in my first semester, Calculus in my third, and Calculus II in my fourth. The classroom however, was not always to my liking, even if the teacher was. The classroom always was kept very hot. In the really steamy days, the teacher would turn on a  fan, which helped a bit. But the fluorescent lights would bother me also, combined with the heat.

One time, I went in to take a test, confident and remembering everything. He talked for a few minutes, and I could feel the heat begin to get to me. As he finally was handing out the tests my head was hurting a lot. I always have headaches, there is not a day I don't have one to some degree, but this was one of the really bad ones, induced by the heat and fluorescent lights. By the time I got my test, and I looked at it, everything that I had so carefully remembered was forgotten. I had pretty much instantaneously lost all my short term memory. I could not remember anything very well. I was only able to remember how to do one of the problems, and many times I vision would fade, and I would be about to lose consciousness, and it would come back. I worked through the test as well as I could anyhow, because he would not like to have me see it, then he would have to make another one for me to do later.

I finally exited the class, once outside, able to think a little clearly, fully expecting the worst, as it was easier to do that. I thought that it was possible that I might get something like a thirty on the test. His tests were extremely hard because he would add things to it that we had never seen before, and expect us to figure it out. I was generally happy with an eighty, and made it up by getting a hundred on all of the homework. But fortunately for me, everyone else had difficulty with the test as well, and many got worse scores than I did. So the teacher took the square roots of everyone's grades, mine was a 54, and ended up with a 73, which I was okay with.

I ended up on the course with my first A- ever, but I was okay with that. It was Calculus after all.

But I found the other extreme when I was taking an Ethics class. It was a new classroom, still smelling new inside. And after a couple of classes I realized that they kept the room at a pretty cold temperature. I noticed this because another person in the class asked me a question "Aren't you cold?"

Considering that everyone else were wearing their coats and sweaters in the classroom, I was very happy. It felt perfect to me. Especially considering how the last semester I had dealt with the Calculus room.

3 comments:

  1. I had you in 223 or 225--both those rooms get ungodly hot in late summer with the morning sun pouring in...and ungodly hot in the winter with taxpayer dollars pumping in $150 a barrel oil.

    FWIW, they used to be even worse! A steady 88 F--and that's before we crowded 20 students and a teacher in. I bitched, moaned, and complained, and the only result I got was to add another battle ribbon to my awards as Troublemaker and Pain-In-The-Ass.

    Tom, I think you can take it as a given that if a piece of writing excites me enough to respond to it in a less-than-professional way (see the grafs above), then it probably has something going for it.

    This has exactly what a narrative needs: a predicament, a test (in a larger literary sense, not a literal test necessarily), a struggle, a partial resolution. And then, in your last two grafs, a denouement to send the reader home thoroughly satisfied.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But why call this a childhood memoir?

    ReplyDelete